STEP Recoder I7, a students’ team from IIT Madras, Chennai chose industrial sector for doing the project.
Electroplating industry is a high carbon footprint and high water footprint industry. This industry consumes about 18000 tonnes of chemicals every year in India and spews more than 50% of this as waste along with water. It is also a high energy intensive industry.
So they came up with the idea of using solar thermal energy for potential resource recovery from industrial wastewater.
Who is Behind this Project?
The team is led by Ms. Ambika and the team members are
- Ambika S
- Sri Hari Vikram T
What is the Project all about?
Solar based energy efficient treatment technology for cleaner production and near zero carbon footprint
- Demineralized water for reuse – >50% yield
- Chemical recovery for process use
- Zero liquid discharge industrial process – green technology
- Carbon footprint reduction ~65%
- Water reuse ~47%, chemical recovery ~38%
- Water footprint reduction ~63%
- Attractive option to move towards sustainable technology and green industries
- Quick payback/return on investment
This concept can be further extended to any potential industry for wastewater treatment and resource recovery depending on the process and requirement.
What is the Uniqueness of the Solution?
Solar based evaporation system has
- Low maintenance
- No chemical additives
- Energy self sufficient
- Capable for standalone operation
What is the Potential Market?
- EP industries at Ambattur Industrial Estate – > 150 units – common or individual unit
- Extended to electroplating industries at other regions
- Market Penetration : Similar pattern industries
SRI HARI VIKRAM T – 9486189312
Interested to Know more about this team? Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org